STATEMENT BY THE SECRETARY-GENERAL
UMNO Supreme Council meeting presided by Dato’ Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi on 10 October 2022 decides that:
1. Discussed issues on preparation for the 15th general election following the dissolution of Parliament.
2. UMNO records its gratitude to the consent of The Yang di-Pertuan Agong for the dissolution in accordance to The King’s prerogative right under Article 40(2)(b) of the Federal Constitution.
3. UMNO honors His Majesty’s concern over the rickety domestic politics, and as such the mandate must be returned to the people to choose a government that can restore stability and prosperity.
4. UMNO is of the stance that the dissolution is the best solution since the parties forming the mixed government have failed to be in solidarity with the Prime Minister. By declaring openly that UMNO and BN are their foes only reflected in their lost of trust towards UMNO’s stewardship.
5. UMNO is leaving it to the discretion of the Election Commission to set the polling dates. UMNO is of the view that it can be carried out before the mid of November, before the monsoon season.
6. In lieu of the GE15, a new date for the General Assembly will be announced, not 23-26 November as set earlier.
7. The meeting also agrees to the GE Manifesto ‘Stability and Prosperity’. The theme was applied in the Melaka and Johor state elections. It will brought to the Barisan Nasional’s Supreme Council for endorsement.
DATUK SERI AHMAD MASLAN
10 October 2022