DEPUTY Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi says he was aware of the “Dubai Move” even before the individuals involved landed in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
“We were informed the moment certain individuals flew there,” he told reporters at a press conference in Putrajaya today.
However, he declined to disclose the names of the individuals he was referring to.
Speculation over the “Dubai Move” arose last week following alleged discussions between opposition leaders and certain government representatives during their recent visit to the UAE.
The discussions were allegedly aimed at dividing tasks among “agents” to identify MPs who could switch their support to the opposition and form a new government.
Zahid dismissed any move to topple the unity government as a “waste of time”, saying the current administration has a two-thirds majority and that strengthening the economy should be the priority.
“If anyone wants to topple the government, they can just wait until the 16th general election,” the Barisan Nasional chairman said.
On Saturday, Fadillah Yusof, vice-president of Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu (PBB), said MPs from Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) “have no time to entertain political drama”.
Fadillah, who is also a deputy prime minister, said he had never heard of the alleged new attempt to bring down the unity government.