UMNO takes seriously the recurrence of water supply disruption to millions of users in Selangor and Kuala Lumpur following the closure of water treatment plants for cleaning purposes. Those who caused pollution at Sungai Selangor should be condemned and apprehended. This is beyond comprehension as it is the second incident from the same heavy machinery maintenance factory whose owner was compounded RM60,000 for the same offense.
2. The incident which can be interpreted as a form of sabotage to the water supply clearly gives a strong message to the Selangor state government in particular and also the Federal government that the existing law is not enough in ensuring environmental sustainability and the people’s right to enjoy access clean water supply for daily use.
3. REMEMBER, one of the eight (8) consumer rights is the right to live in a conducive environment and good health. Therefore, the safety and health of the people due to clean water sources must be maintained without any compromise.
4. Therefore, UMNO urges the Federal Government, State Government and Local Authorities to amend existing laws such as the Environmental Quality Act 1974 or enact new laws for the following:
a) Increase the fine and higher compound which is ten (10) times the cost of cleaning the polluted river water pollution.
b) Owners of premises or companies including the Board of Directors and Management of companies are subject to mandatory imprisonment and whipping for sabotage of national water supply.
c) The business license of relevant company is revoked and the owner is blacklisted from carrying out any business activity for a period of at least 10 years.
5. Apply detention and prosecution under Section 430 of the Penal Code against the owner of a premises suspected of releasing solvent into the Gong River which flows into the Sembah River.
6. However, UMNO also urges the authorities that the owners of the premises and / or company as well as the Board of Directors and Management of the company be prosecuted under Section 121 of the Water Services Industry Act 2006 which provides that those found guilty of polluting water supply system can be sentenced to death or imprisonment for up to 20 years and whipping.
7. In addition, the owners of the premises and / or company as well as the Board of Directors and Management of the company should also be investigated under the Security Offenses (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA) and stern action should be taken for sabotaging and polluting the river in Selangor .
8. UMNO will not compromise on any issue that not only undermines the rights of the people but also harms their safety in short and long term. Citizens have the right to live in a clean, healthy and safe environment!
Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi