KUALA LUMPUR, March 18 – UMNO President Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has once again voiced his concern over the new compound guidelines announced by the government yesterday.
He said in a Facebook posting, it is still burdensome to some people since due tight bureaucratic measures that come with it.
“The first compound discount is offered only for seven days. It is not easy for some people to provide RM750 in that period. They are more worried if bureaucracy issues arise in this process. The government should ensure that it runs without much fuss,” he said.
The Barisan Nasional (BN) chairman added that the people were also skeptical as there seemed to be partiality in enforcement operations involving high-profile individuals.
“The people are beginning to question the ‘double standard’ when it comes to SOP flouted by ministers and political leaders,” said the Member of Parliament for Bagan Datuk.
He, however, thanked the government for some ‘improvements’ to the RM10,000 compound.
Zahid had previously expressed the view that the government should review the RM10,000 compound to those violating the SOP of the Movement Control Order.
The Cabinet yesterday set the guidelines of the compound rate Under Act 342, which among others offer a 50 per cent or 25 per cent discount to individuals or companies within the stipulated period.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan said under the guidelines, offenses were divided into three categories, namely high, medium and normal.