KUALA LUMPUR, May 6 – UMNO Youth has urged the government to immediately set up a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) into the revelations of former AG Tan Sri Tommy Thomas and ex-IGP Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador.
This was decided at a meeting chaired by its chief Datuk Dr Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki today.
2. The seven justifications for the setting up of a RCI are:
(1) Abuse of power in the appointment of judges and major positions in the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM);
(2) Independence of the judiciary and the institutions to maintain national security, especially with regards to PDRM;
(3) Interference by the executive and extreme politics in the judiciary and the PDRM;
(4) Selective and political prosecution;
(5) Corrupt practices in party hopping;
(6) Contempt of Judiciary and national security; and
(7) Restoring the people’s trust in the Judiciary and national security.
3. UMNO Youth also urged and recommended that the Parliament can convene in accordance with the King’s decree.
4. They also outlined three main reasons why Parliament needs to convene immediately:
i) The system of Parliamentary Democracy (Legislative, Judicial and Executive) is no longer functioning properly without its mandate.
ii) The Finance Act is now suspended and the government is free to spend without Parliament’s approval, which saw over RM600 billion was spent and RM75 billion worth of loan secured in 4 months. Without Parliament, there are fears of leakages and abuse of power by stakeholders.
iii) When Parliament is sidelined, it indirectly translates to the distrust of investors in the country. There is no more good governance, especially in terms of check and balance to all government decisions.
5. UMNO Youth also stressed out that there should be no more SOP enforcement and legal compliance related to the prevention of Covid-19 based on rank and position. Doub;le standard which draw people’s anger must be dropped immediately, and more focus must be given to containing Covid-19.