KUALA LUMPUR, June 28 – Secretary-General Datuk Seri Ahmad Maslan reminds party members how victory in series of by-elections and state elections was achieved on the back of Umno’s own strength and a solid leadership.
Attributing it to continuous effort by the leadership to revive the party after its defeat in the last general election, he said only their strong determination can Umno regain what was lost.
“In any struggle, results are important. Just take a glimpse at how our President, his deputy and the rest of the Supreme Working Committee had achieved thus far:
- Winning seven by-elections
- Won 14+2 Sabah state seats from just one previously
- Taking over Perak government
- Won 21/28 (75 per cent) seats in Melaka state election
- BN’s friendly party chalked a thumping victory, winning 76 out of 82 seats (93 per cent) in Sarawak
- Won 40/56 state seats or 71 per cent in Johor state election
- Umno vice-president became our prime minister as the result of 15 MPs pressing for it
- Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob was endorsed by the MKT as candidate for PM in GE15
“Let’s pray that this team will bring success for Umno/BN and the people (in GE15),” he said in his Twitter account.
In another posting, the Pontian MP also shared media report much earlier on Pejuang chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad asking Umno president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi to dissolve the party.
“That’s history to the president’s struggle. Imagine what happened had he obliged to Mahathir’s instruction? And what happened to him when he refused?”.